Welcome back friends! If you have decided to register for the Disney Marathon or even a local Marathon/Half Marathon, BRAVO!! For those of you who don’t know anything about the Disney World Marathon, read about it here, you will be convinced!
Throughout this journey of preparing for your run, you have to stay positive. Your legs, body and muscles you never knew existed in your body will hurt however you will have an amazing and healthy body as a result of it!
I started with a training plan and followed it strictly by taking the dates from the training plan and adding it to my Google Calendar, this way I received alerts every morning for the number of miles I had to run. Pick the best training plan that fits your goal, there are also tons of free plans available! Below are a few of my recommendations on how to get started with running:
- Eat enough carbs (aka carb loading) to help with your weekly mileage.
- Strength train. I didn’t do enough of this and trust me I wish I did.
- Rest! You don’t have to run for 5 hours straight, you can walk for a few minutes in between and you don’t have to run 7 days a week.
- Determine what your goal is, is it to finish or finish by a certain time? My goal is always to finish, however, pretty soon I do want to run a half marathon in 2 hours.
- Pick out awesome running clothes and shoes!
- Take advantage of beautiful spring days to get in a run, its the best time.
- Download your favorite type of music, it will help you run for 4-6 hours!
- After the run, soak in epson salt and hot water, next day you won’t even feel that you ran a Marathon. Trust me it works, I was in heels the next day!
When you cross the finish line the training will all be worth it, especially when you receive your beautiful finishers medal, wear it with pride.
Are you a runner, what do you do to prepare for a run?